As the name suggests, North Mackay is the suburb to the north of the central suburb of Mackay, separated by the Pioneer River.
The suburb is bounded by Norris Road to the west, the Mackay Harbour branch of the North Coast railway to the north, Vines Creek to the east and Barnes Creek and the Pioneer River to the south. Harbour Road passes through the east of the suburb and is the arterial access to the harbour. The suburb is predominantly residential although there are a some small industrial areas in the suburb. The suburb also has a number of community facilities, including numerous schools and the Mater Misericordiae Hospital.
The Ormond Private Hospital was established by Dr Charles Emmanuel Williams on the corner of Brisbane and Gordon Street. It opened in May 1911. It was purchased in May 1927 by the Sisters of Mercy who renamed it the Mackay Mater Misericordiae Hospital (Mater Misericordiae translates to Mother of Mercy and was the name used by many hospitals established by this religious order). On Sunday 29 May 1927 the hospital was blessed by the Roman Catholic Bishop of Rockhampton, Joseph Shiel. On 9 August 1936, the Sisters opened a new hospital on Gordon Street with a ceremony conducted by the Roman Catholic Archbishop of Brisbane, James Duhig assisted by the Bishop of Rockhampton, Romuald Denis Hayes. In 2003, a modern Mater Hospital was opened in Willett Street, North Mackay, with 105 beds.
Mackay North State School opened on 23 March 1915. It should not be confused with Glenalla State School which was originally opened in 1879 under the name Mackay North State School but was renamed Glenalla State School in 1912. Mackay North State School opened on 23 March 1915.
St Joseph's Catholic Primary School opened on 1 August 1936.
North Mackay State High School opened on 28 January 1964.
Fitzgerald State School opened on 30 January 1979.
Mackay Christian College opened on 1 February 1984.
Mackay North State School is a government co-educational primary school (P-6) on the corner of Evans Avenue and Harvey Street. In 2016, the school had an enrolment of 395 students with 33 teachers (17 full-time equivalent) and 17 non-teaching staff (12 equivalent full-time).
Mackay North State High School is a government co-educational secondary school (7-12) in Valley Street. In 2016, the school had an enrolment of 1345 students with 111 teachers (106 full-time equivalent) and 48 non-teaching staff (37 full-time equivalent).